Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Its tenkin day. (Week 63)

Mom. You asked in your email something like when will I be a trainer. Why did you ask that? Did someone talk to you? Last week I got a call from President asking me what I thought about becoming a trainer next transfer. I am so not ready. But I will probably become a trainer. Today we get transfer calls. The new transfer starts on Thursday. We still haven't had our call. So I'm freaking out. I don't know what's going to happen. Maybe I won't be a trainer. Nothing is for sure. Anywho. The whole trainer deal scares me more than you can imagine. We'll see what happens.

Well. In other news while we wait (I may get the call while emailing today) I heard a lot of funny things from Japanese people this week. At Eikaiwa there is a college student girl who struggles with English. She can say many things with great difficulty but I don't know how much she really understands of what I say. She is one of the people who struggles most in that class I think. But she has fun. And I would describe her as a girl that looks normal and many people probably think she's attractive. But when I asked her to use the new grammar I just taught she said "I am going to try to exercise more because I'm porky." I died laughing. It was the funniest thing I have ever heard from a Japanese person.

Also do you remember that man that I told you about that has a British accent? Well. I met his daughter yesterday. She just came back from England after only being there for a year. And her British accent was stronger than her father's! It was crazy. I couldn't understand her at first because I expected Japanese and then if not that then Japanese English and if not that then American English. But her accent was straight out of Harry Potter. I was very impressed. Tomorrow I will have been in Japan for a year and my Japanese is nowhere near as good as her English. And she said something hilarious too but I won't write it here because I am trying to stop using that word. Don't worry. Its not a bad word. Just not a great word. But you should laugh because it was way funny how she used it.

So I feel like I have one of the craziest jobs in the world. In the morning I can go and visit a member who is in the old people's home because of her many health problems and feel her strength and her joy because we visited her and feel God's love for her and then visit an investigator in the afternoon that is progressing well and is trying to keep all the commandments even though he doesn't understand why so you feel like you need to try really hard too and then in the evening you visit another investigator who says to you that she wants to become happy but right now is in so much pain and just isn't sure about this religion but will keep trying and then you feel your heart break for her because you don't know what more you can do and seeing pain hurts you too. Its really an emotional roller coaster of a job. All in one day all kinds of stuff can go down. Its hard. But also very rewarding. And I am enjoying it.

So there was a day this past week where we gave out 5 Book of Mormons but only took 4 to give away. And I will explain this but let me start at the beginning. We contacted a group of 5 high school boys who were pretty rude and I was sick of them and we left them having gotten nowhere and I didn't want to contact any more high school students after that. But Elder Yamanashi did want to keep contacting them because they were everywhere. So he did. He contacted two boys walking together. And immediately I noticed the one with glasses was different. He had a look of interest in his eyes and he made himself a part of the conversation which isn't normal for any Japanese person. And there was just something else about him. And I explained the Book of Mormon to them and I gave them my last one. I handed it to the kid without glasses and he took it. But that was our last one. And then as fast as lightning Elder Yamanashi reached into his backpack and pulled out his personal Book of Mormon that his father used before him and handed it to the kid with glasses. And then immediately after a lady drove by screaming out of her window "Don't be deceived!" and then two crossing guard guys came over and stood in between us and the kids and made them go home and ended our lesson rather abruptly. I have never seen Japanese people act that way before. I get the feeling that kid is going to read Elder Yamanashi's Book of Mormon and will accept the Gospel someday and go on to do great things. Satan really tried to get in the way of that one. It was very interesting. And I learned not to let a bad experience in your contacting influence your later contacts. I would never have contacted those boys because of the previous five who were less than kind. It was very interesting.

We still haven't received our transfer call.

I saw the kanji for doctor that you sent mom. And I am kind of blown away. I've seen it before but I didn't make the connection before now. I will never forget that kanji ever again now. It looks like the Doctor may have made his way to Japan years and years ago when the language was forming and influenced the development of Japan. He truly has been everywhere. How interesting.

Well today probably won't be spent doing anything fun. One of us is most likely going to transfer so we will end up taking care of that and stuff. If I had to use logic to guess what will happen I will train here in Saijo and Elder Yamanashi will transfer somewhere. But I get the feeling things may not go as expected. Anything can happen. But I can almost guarantee someone will transfer. So we will be doing that.

My body is not doing great. Still the normal knee trouble. And my back hurts. I think I injured it. I can remember what happened the first time it hurt. I was in Tsuboi and then Elder Morris, Elder De Jong, and Elder Unice all tackled me at the same time onto my futon. And that didn't hurt. But when I stood up and tried to walk I felt sharp pains in my back and I couldn't walk faster than a slow shuffle. Luckily it was bed time so I could just sleep and the next morning I felt mostly better but since then the pain has been on and off. I can always feel that it could start hurting at any moment. If that makes sense. And sometimes it hurts so bad I can't move very well. That's pretty rare that it keeps me from going places. But it hurts. I truly am an old man. So we'll see where that story goes. Most days I can endure and sometimes it doesn't really hurt at all so I should be ok. So overall I am not great but I can still do almost whatever I want.

Still no call.

I'm sorry to hear that your snow went away. It looked like it was so much fun. I'm jealous. It was freezing a little over a week ago. But the temperature has switched almost over night to fairly hot in the afternoon. Almost uncomfortably so.

Still no call.

There was something I wanted to say but I forgot. I am preoccupied with the transfer call. So sorry. You will never hear that precious gem of wisdom.

I may have to come back to email a little later. We are going to go to do something for Elder Yamanashi soon and then come back so he can email. At that time I will tell you how transfer calls went. I'm so nervous. Its scary. I don't know what is going to happen. So this is goodbye for now. I hope you don't all die waiting for the call like I am.

Also I just wanted to shout to the world something about Julie. Do you remember Christmas? Like almost three months ago? Yeah. Julie is sending me my Christmas present in pieces and I still haven't received all of it. In fact there is just one piece left and the last letter I got from her should have had it but instead she said she is making me wait until April. I can't read the message on it until its all done! What is she doing?! Someone tell her to get on the business end of sending it. Because I am not going to write her a letter until I get it. This is just cruel and unusual punishment. Though I suppose I should be grateful. I thought it was going to become my birthday present. So at least I'll get it before then.

Anyways. I love you. have a good day. I will be back later to drop the news on you in a bit.

Long live the 医者!

Love Elder Liddle 長老

P.S. Abcdee wa zetai uso desho.

No comments:

Post a Comment