Monday, June 11, 2012

I'm Still in Ishigaki! (Week 24)

So this was a pretty good week. We went to Taketomi island for last P day. We both stayed in Ishigaki. We had three investigators come to church yesterday. I learned to Japanese word for hand grenade. I found out that Elder Munro and I were connected before our missions through three people. One of those people being in the band Maroon 5. And I walked three minutes from the church to our apartment yesterday and was completely soaked by the rain about half way to the apartment. Good week.

Taketomi rocks. It is so beautiful. And we got to ride in a wagon thing being pulled by a suigyu. Which I think is like a water buffalo or something. I'm not sure what a water buffalo looks like and I only heard the Japanese name for this animal. It means water cow. But it is probably a little different in English. I also had ice cream there that I thought tasted like butter. I think the flavor was like salt or something. I'm not sure because it was Japanese. But it was buttery. And super delicious. Also I would appreciate it if you would buy me a shamisen to have when I get home. It is also called a sanshi in some places. I want to learn old Okinawan music.
 
We didn't transfer. Elder Munro is going on 4 transfers here. That's a long time. After 3 transfers you are probably transferring. So after 4 its pretty much for sure you will transfer. So I have a really good chance of staying another transfer here because they aren't likely to take both of us out. But it has been known to happen. In fact it just happened in Okinawa. Elder Buckingham returned home this past week. And his companion did too. So now there are missionaries there that don't know anything about my beloved Okinawa trying to dendo it up. I sure hope they take care of those people properly.
 
This morning I got to see my two favorite old people. Sunagawa san is the guy we do rajio taiso in the park with every morning. He is so funny. It started raining and when the first half of taiso ended he asked if it was ok or if we should leave. And I understood him which I almost never do. And I yelled Daijobu desu! Which means its ok to stay. And he got so happy. He said Tanoshiku Ganbarimasho with extra vigor after that. That means like lets funly hang in there. And after he said thank you and we got so much genki out after that. He was so happy that I wanted so much to stay. And I think he was so happy that I understood him and then replied. It was just a good morning for that man. Also most mornings we see this crazy old lady walking around. And we say ohayo gozaimasu to her every time we see her. Even across the street now. She says it back and then starts laughing in her crazy old lady way. That never fails to put a smile on my face. She is so funny.
That lady that we found housing last week at the third to last door we still haven't been able to see. That was a pretty Japanese way to structure a sentence. My bad. But its cool at the same time. Anyways. She's going to Naha for a while and we won't be able to see her until July. I think July will be a really awesome month. It seems like everything is being set up for a good July.
And if you send a package for my birthday please send manly deodorant. You can't find much deodorant here. And I'm almost out.
 
And I did get the package. Just yesterday. Thank you. It has been fun and tasty. I have enjoyed it. Thank you very much.
 
So that mom that prayed last sunday said she would come to church this week. And we visited them again on saturday to remind her but she only came out long enough to see if we transferred and then had to go watch the volleyball game. But we talked to her kids. And we weren't really that confident that she was going to show up to church. But she and both her kids came. And it was so awesome. We haven't had many investigators come to church. Hopefully we can keep that up. I love that family. They are so awesome. We went and watched the son play basketball a while ago. He's pretty good. It was just a small game so we were commentating ourselves. And we didn't know anyone's name except Hank's so we made up names. Like Yellow Belly, Goggles, Iron Man, Addict, Sir Lunacy, and my personal favorite: Whitey Tightey's Got His Genki Out. They are a high school team. And they are good. But the middle school team they were playing beat them. So that was sad. But it was fun. And as we were leaving a random girl said Otsukaresama desu to me. Which literally means you are mister tired. It means like good work you hard worker. I don't know why she said that. She must have fallen in love with me.
 
Which reminds me of that eikaiwa girl that fell in love with me last week. She was there again. And the first thing she said is so you get your call tomorrow from Fukuoka saying if you transfer or not. I sure hope you don't get transferred. Her English was a little more broken than that but that's what she said. And she was dressed up this time and wearing perfume. I don't know if that was because of me or if she just goes out like that to eikaiwa at 8:00 pm. Poor girl. I really didn't mean to make her fall in love with me. My bad.
And the Japanese word for grenade is shuryuudan. Dad. I expect you to teach that to everyone at work. The double u in the middle is an extra long oo sound.
 
We hear that the rainy season is almost over here. And we were surprised because it hasn't rained that much. Its rained way more than Utah has in the past 10 years but for Ishigaki it hasn't been very much. And then we had the rain storm of our life yesterday. Right after we heard it was almost over and that it had been a gentle rain season. That was fun. I've never seen such rain. And such humidity. I am seriously dying. It is way too humid. But Ishigaki is still awesome. I love it so much.
 
Yesterday Elder Munro said he woke up in the night to an earthquake and everything was shaking and stuff. I didn't though. But then the branch president said there was an earthquake. So that is scary. I sure hope there won't be a tsunami here. That would not be fun. But it is possible. President Yonaha even has plans in the next few weeks to teach the branch about tsunami safety. I hope that doesn't scare you mom. I'll be fine if there is a tsunami. We already know where we are going to go. There is a tall building near our apartment. So we're good. Shinpai shinai de kudasai.
 
Well I'm peacing out. I love you all. Have a good week. I'll talk to you later. Mata ne. Bye bye. Shitsureshimasu.
Love リドル長老

No comments:

Post a Comment