Sunday, September 9, 2012

Its time for eggnog! (Week 37)

Well you are probably all wondering why I called you here today.

Firstly I'd like to say that my first full week of Nihongo dake went pretty ok. Japanese only. Its been hard. But kind of fun. Maybe it wasn't exactly Nihongo dake because Elder Iino can understand a lot of english. His vocabulary is impressive. But if you get too complicated with the grammar and stuff then he has no idea what you're going on about. So I can ask him how to say things in English first if I don't know how to in Japanese. So that has been really nice. And when I get really frustrated I just go off in really fast English to calm me down. So its been exciting. And I can say more than I thought I could. But still not all that much.

Secondly I'd like to say that on this beautiful Monday morning I watched Elder Holland's devotional last Sunday night. But it was live. How do I do that? I must be a Timelord or something. And it was really good. I love that man. That kind of reminded me of seeing him in the MTC. Only he was a lot more in your face in the MTC. It was good.

Thirdly. I want to tell you that Iino 長老 taught me some new Japanese. Barabara satsujin jiken. And then he said its yoku tsukau. Which means its used a lot. And the first word means random. The second word means manslaughter. And the third word means happening or event. Yoku tsukau? Why on earth would you use a phrase like that often?

Fourthly I want to send you my Christmas list. I have some stuff I will need by then and I just want to tell you because I'm in the Christmasy mood and I don't want to forget closer to Christmas. Now its up to you to remember and I don't have responsibility anymore. I need a new head for my razor by Christmas. The name of this razor is Philips Norelco SensoTouch 1150X. I need a replacement shaving unit, model RQ11. The book says go to www.philips.com/store. And I will need maybe some new sewing needles and more black and white thread. I could probably find that here just fine but I wanted to give you something to give me for Christmas. So there you have it. My Christmas list. Also a chocolate orange.

Fifthly. I was thinking back to my first days in Japan. And I was in the airport somewhere going to my first area, Okinawa. And I met a lot of missionaries all at one time so I can barely remember any of them. But one I do remember. He was Japanese. And he was tall. And he spoke only Japanese. And he talked to me and I was like aaaaahhhh! Why are you talking to me? Don't you know I can't speak this language? And I was afraid of that particular missionary. That missionary's name is, if I remember correctly, Elder Iino. Who turns out to be my companion. And also one of my very favorite people ever to be born onto this earth.

Seventhly. I'd just like to say that working with Elder Iino has been lots of fun. I love that man. And he is such a good missionary. I am learning so much from him. When we go housing and stuff he is way good at it. Elder Munro and I could barely get anyone to keep their door open for more than ten seconds. But Elder Iino can keep them for 10 minutes. He's amazing. And I'm learning how to do it myself. You just have to ask the right questions and do more of a self introduction rather than jump right into how they can live with God again. I love 飯野長老。He's the best missionary out there.

Eighthly. We housed an apartment building that was way scary. It was a night and there were like no lights and the feeling there was creepy and it was way dirty and almost no one was home and if they were they ignored us except one guy who was just smoking in the dark. There were no lights on in his house. All I could see was the cigarette and a little of his face from the glow of the cigarette. Wow. That was scary. I decided we broke some missionary rules housing there. The white handbook says to stay in well lighted areas at night for safety. I sure didn't feel safe there. Also from my childhood I remember having the same nightmare over and over from time to time. I was walking up really narrow really steep stairs with no railings and I had trouble balancing so I always felt like I was going to fall. And at that scary apartment the stairs were exactly like that. Exactly.

Eleventhly. I'd just like to keep you updated on all the girls that are in love with me here. I saw one at the airport that wanted me to go talk to her but I didn't. We housed into one who literally jumped down into her genkan so she could open the door wider when she saw me. And a few girls were walking on the sidewalk a ways away from me. I was on my bike and stopped at a red light. I actually stop at red lights unlike everyone else. And as I started going all three yelled Haro! But I didn't look over and just kept going. And then one screamed at me Amerikajin! Which means hey American! I just laughed and kept going.

Twelfthly. I just want to say that I love you all and that I hope all is well back at the homestead. I hope you are all in your dress goods and enjoying your Sunday. Sunday is a good day. Just really busy for missionaries.

Thirteenthly. I should head out. Have a nice week.

Fourteenthly. Love,
Fifteenthly. リドル長老

2 comments:

  1. No, I didn't edit any paragraphs from Elder Liddle's letter out. It's quite possible he's forgotten how to count properly in English.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha that's what I was going to ask... :D

    ReplyDelete