Well this week was pretty good. I got to ride airplanes again. Numbers 20 and 21. We went to Naha for zone conference. And guess who was there. You will remember the general conference last year in October when a nice Japanese man spoke about missionary work. This was the weekend after I opened my mission call. His name is Elder Yamashita. And he did in fact give the training at our zone conference. It was so good. He is such a wonderful man. I learned so much from him. And he taught in English. He said the Japanese missionaries should learn English so he is going to speak in English to help them. And it was so good. One of the biggest things I learned from him is that language doesn't matter that much. If you speak from your heart and show love then the Spirit will be there and that is what really matters. No one will care about your language skill if they can feel the Spirit. And the best part about that was his English is really good but far from perfect. And I didn't even notice. I just felt the Spirit the whole time. It was so good. That conference may have changed my mission forever. Elder Yamashita is the best ever. He is such a nice guy. I had the opportunity to speak to him for a little bit. It was good.
I also had an interview with President Gustafson this weekend. That was just really good. That man is inspired by God. I love him so much.
So we have been visiting M_____ san. He is a good old man. We visited him yesterday kind of late and when we got there he told us he thought we weren't coming and got a little worried. He is progressing little by little. I hope to see him join the church. He is a wonderful man. Very nice.
We also visited a family we teach in English. Well now its English and Japanese because Iino 長老 can't speak English. And the T_____ family is bilingual. It has been a really long time since we have visited them all together. They are so busy. So we met with the daughter earlier this week and then the mother yesterday. When we met with the daughter, V_____, she really opened up to us this time. She told me about some problems that have been going on and she was completely honest with me when we talked about how she had been with keeping commitments and stuff. And then I talked about the importance of the Book of Mormon and stuff and asked her to read every day and pray about it. And she said she would and really seemed like she meant it. It was a good lesson. And then yesterday with T_____ Mom I talked more about the Book of Mormon. She is such a wonderful lady. She wants to be a better mother to her children and she also was very open and honest with us about how things have been going with her progress as an investigator. The family really is about at the same place. None of them really do much about what we say. But I asked her to really try to read and pray this week and to help her children do it too. And she said she would. And I think she will. The spirit was really strong in these visits. And we set up a time to meet them as a whole family. I'm excited for them. And in our meetings with them I have just been overcome with such a love for them. I love that family so much. I really want to see them join the church. And I think they will if we all just try hard together to get them to continually progress. But I have a fear. I might transfer away from here in a few weeks. 5 transfers in Ishigaki may be too much to ask. I've heard of a few missionaries now who have gone 5 transfers in places but I don't know if I can do it. And so I might not be able to see it. Also I don't think Iino 長老 has the same faith in them that I do. And the ward mission leader doesn't have that faith in them either. So I feel like I'm alone when it comes to this family. I can't transfer or they might be forgotten. I want them to receive this gospel. I want to be with them in the Celestial Kingdom. So pray that all will go well.
While I was in Naha I went on companion exchanges with one of the Miyako elders and I learned something. We stopped a guy on the street and started talking to him. And I understood everything that was being said. And this man was upset about something. He would sometimes say things in English too. And he was just kind of in attack mode. And if I was the one good enough at the language to take the lesson I am afraid I might have just left him to go be angry by himself. But Elder Cottle is a great missionary. He was patient and kept himself calm. And in the end the guy asked if he could take our pamphlets and he was happy and we went away feeling good. So always be happy and patient no matter what.
By the way we aren't going to bike around Ishigaki. Just to a beach kind of far away.
This past week we were housing and found a nice old lady that was just a little bit crazy. She was part of a religion here in Japan and also a few other parts of the world called Kofuku no Kagaku. Which being interpreted means Happy Science. And here we have seen there building that says Happy Science in big English letters on it. It is an interesting religion that I think is basically just about how to live a happy life. And this wonderful old lady told us about how she can't really read very much anymore because her eye sight is bad and so she gave me and Elder Iino a couple books from her church. So now I have a book called Kibo no Ho. Which means the Laws of Hope. And its all in Japanese. I've actually read a little bit of it and most of it seems to teach good things. But some of it may be a little bit not so true. And I feel like I would rather read the Book of Mormon or something. So I won't read it. Anyways. It was just funny. She was so excited about her religion. And we only took the books from her because she said if we did she would take a Book of Mormon and try to read it. So yeah.
Well that was my week I think. So. Enjoy the package. Mom. Enjoy your shisa and other assorted goods. If anything doesn't have a home yet then you can decide what to do with it. I love you all. Have a wonderful day.
Love Elder
No comments:
Post a Comment