Sunday, March 25, 2012

People who get paid to do this deserve money. (Week 13)

Konnichiwa!

Or Konbanwa. I think its night time for you. Its about noon for me. Whatevers. So. This week has been intersting. Awesome and freaky and weird and interesting. I'll start with the weirdest thing first. So we have an investigator. A retired Marine. And he's from Texas. I really haven't taught much in Japanese yet. We have lots of english speakers here. His name is J_____. So J_____ is interesting. He is an alcholic. I've only met him once but Buckingham Choro says he's pretty cool most of the time. But that time I met him I was afraid. He was drunk. I hear he's drunk a lot. And he was convinced Satan was in his bedroom. He said no one will go in his room and all his animals are afraid of it and he said his clock was thrown across the room. He made us take the clock with us. And he was very scary. He was obviously scared. And he was very angry. There were times when I actually feared for our physical safety. His wife wouldn't let us in the house because it was dirty. So we were outside. After we left we talked to Elder Watson the senior missionary. He said we should go into the room and see if we feel any evil spirits there and then go talk to this guy in the branch presidency and see if we will have to cast out devils. Its possible that J_____ was just way drunk. But Elder Buckingham says he wasn't acting in his normal drunk way. So this might be real. J_____ is also going to go to an alcoholic recovery place in Texas. So good for him. We haven't been able to go into his room yet. But we will this week sometime.

So I have a bike here. I haven't actually bought a bike yet. A missionary is selling me this bike and I haven't got his money to him yet. But as I use this bike which is supposedly like new I notice lots of issues with it. So I'm going to try to get a new bike today sometime. This bike so isn't a good one. I would hate to use it for two years. Even for such a low price.

I eat lots of good stuff here. I like almost all of the food I've had. I haven't eaten at any Japanese members houses yet. Just americans. And some japanese food places and Kusakabe choro makes stuff sometimes. The hardest thing I've eaten with chopsticks is Jello. They actually do that here. Its so hard. Chopsticks are just hard in general. Jello is the ultimate test. If you can do that you can do anything. And I have done it. But it takes twenty tries and I keep cutting the jello in half. Its so hard.

So I heard the word discotheque. I think it has something to do with disco. At church on Sunday I saw an old Japanese man with green hair. What is that about? I asked Kusakabe Choro and he just said crazy man. Kusakabe Choro is learning english. He's really good but its hard to communicate with him because he doesn't know that much english and I know no Japanese. But he's fun. He keeps coming to me with random phrases in english. One day I was expressing frustration with Japanese and then like three hours later he just walks in to my room and says be patient with yourself. I didn't know what he was talking about. And he has lots of other weird random english he keeps saying to me. He's pretty hilarious.

I learned something new about Japanese. I can understand the words Japanese people use but then not understand what they are saying. I guess there are weird ways of putting words together to mean something and it means nothing to me. That will be fun to figure out. I have had Japanese people tell me that my pronunciation is really good. And that I look like a really kind person. I said a prayer and they thought it sounded very Japanese. I get asked to say the prayer all the time. Just so you know.

So I love walking around the streets handing out eikaiwa fliers and talking to people about whatever. It is so fun. I especially love talking to teenagers. They actually take the time to sit and talk with you about whatever and about the gospel. I gave them Book of Mormons. But they didn't want to meet with me. Anyways. It is just super fun to try to talk to them on the streets.

Word of wisdom from the week. Don't be fooled by the science.

The toilet in my apartment is kind of scary. But I'll live. The toilets in the mission home are the bomb. They have heated seats! What?! That's the best thing ever. And they squirt water at you. Which I was very scared to try out for the first time. I was sitting there for like five minutes working up the courage to use the water feature. And it was amazing. I need a toilet like that in my house. The toilet paper here isn't awful. But its not the quality of my imported toilet paper.

The Fukuoka temple is cool. Its pretty small. And I couldn't go in. But maybe someday. That would be super cool. Japanese candy is really good. And in the mission home I had this super good cereal. It was the best I've ever had. It beats any american cereal. But It is so expensive. Like ten bucks a bag. So that made me sad. I'm not really willing to spend that much on cereal.

So we like to go visit members on the military base and its like a big deal to get us on the base because the member or less active member or whoever has to come take us on. And then Peterson Choro found out I have a military id. He said that can get us on. Is that true? He said he talked to a member about it and he said its true and I can like buy stuff on base and stuff for a better price. But I don't know these things.

I only found the one lizard in my apartment. I don't think it happens often. And Okinawa is pretty I guess. It is full of cement buildings. So that's not to best. And on the military base it is exactly like being on base in California except people drive on the wrong side of the road. And the trees are different. The Dr. Pepper here is absolutely delicious. I love it. It is so so good. And cheap. I plan on enjoying it for my stay here in Okinawa.

I found out that Buckingham Choro goes home in two transfers. I'll probably be his last companion. That made me sad. I like this guy. He's super funny. And I get along with him well.

And I was deeply saddened to hear about Kozmo. That is not good news. I hope things work out ok with the car. Don't be too sad dad. Life is still ok. Maybe you can get a better car. I don't know. Good luck. Ganbatte Kudasai.

Well I think I will go now. And enjoy the rest of my Monday. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday.

Love Elder Who

4 comments:

  1. He signed it "Elder Who" because I was telling him that his emails are travelling back in time since he writes them on Monday, but the get to us on Sunday. So I called him Elder who cuz his email time travels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doctor Who Cosmo. Get with the program.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! I wondered about that too but I got it now. :D That's brilliant though that his letters time travel. I didn't even think of that. Cool.

    ReplyDelete